What is website hosting?
Website hosting services are basically the “plot” of “Internet land” that your website sits on. You can think of these hosting services as the landlords that put up your site, and keep it backed up and running so your visitors can access and see it whenever they type in your URL.
Just like there is almost an endless possibility when it comes to the types of businesses that use websites to show themselves off to the world, there is also a nearly endless possibility of types of web hosting services. Some offer to build your entire site, while others just give you the “plot” and leave the rest to you.
What factors go into choosing the best host for you?
With so many options out there, there are specific things you need to look at to choose the best one for you.
- Bandwidth: The first thing you need to do when deciding on a web hosting service is to evaluate your disk space and bandwidth needs. If your site is one that features lots of graphics, dozens of pages, and large amounts of traffic, you’re going to need decent bandwidth and disk space. Some companies even offer unlimited plans. For some, that’s the best way to go.
- Compatibility: Keep compatibility in mind, too. Running the type of operating systems that are supported by the host is critical. You’re not going to want to switch operating systems, so double-check this point before settling for a provider.
- Reliability: Reliability and availability are critical characteristics to consider when shopping around for web hosting. Look for “Uptime” availability rates, as they are frequently called, of 98 and 99 percent.
- Security: Security is also an essential concern. Make sure things like firewalls, daily backups, and user authentication are all included.
What is my favorite web hosting?
By far, for me, Siteground is where it’s at. They can be found at: https://www.siteground.com/
Why are they my favorite?
1. They have competitive pricing. Packages start at only $15/month.
2. FREE SSL certificate. That is a big deal. It can mean savings of up to $100/year!
3. Offers free Email.
4. Daily backups. This one can be a huge savior!
5. Amazing customer service. They don’t just send you the link to an article telling you how to fix it. If anything happens, they actually fix it. (What a concept!!) The reality is that most business owners don’t know how to fix or deal with problems arising from their hosting. They can really help!
Before you make your final choice for web hosting, do your homework! As tempting as it may be to choose a web hosting provider quickly and just get on with your life, it’s undeniably better to take your time. In doing so, you’ll be able to find a provider you can stick with for the long haul.
If you have any questions about hosting, I am more than happy to help. Email me.
Waterfront Graphic Design is your full-service website partner.